Are you fluent in Spanish and looking to promote clean water and river safety in the Fredericksburg area? Friends of the Rappahannock is seeking to hire one part time candidate to spearhead our Spanish-language education and outreach programs during summer 2020. Candidates must be passionate about communicating river safety and environmental education to a young and diverse community. Candidates must be able to perform physical work both outside and in inclement weather.
Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is a 501c3 watershed protection organization based in Fredericksburg, VA. FOR works to be the voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River. We accomplish this through three program pillars – advocacy, restoration and education.
- Outreach to the Hispanic/Latinx community of the Fredericksburg area
- Environmental education to ELL K12 students
- Support and oversight of tree planting and maintenance projects; oyster shell recycling; river cleanups; living shorelines, and other restoration work as needed
- Support for interpretive paddling and boat tours on the Rappahannock River
- Be fluent in Spanish
- Some early mornings, late afternoons, evening and weekend work anticipated
- Must have valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Must be able to drive work truck and trailer
- Must be able to lift 75lbs
- Must be willing to work outside in varying weather conditions
- Outgoing and personable
- Team player
- Passion for environmental protection and conservation
- Comfortable with on-water activities
- Have experience in K12 environmental education
- Have Canoe/Kayak experience
This is an entry level, part time position. Position term is from May through late August 2020. Potential to begin in March and extend through Fall 2020 contingent on funding. Hourly pay rate is $12-$15/hr depending on qualifications. Willing to train the right candidate.
Friends of the Rappahannock is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Stewardship Assistant in the subject line.