Retirement Plan Beneficiary Designation Donation
By naming Friends of the Rappahannock as a beneficiary of your qualified retirement plan, IRA or 401k, you take care of our river and your heirs.
How It Benefits You
- You may be able to avoid both income AND estate taxes levied on the residue left in your retirement account. As a non-profit, FOR won’t pay income tax on the distribution, nor will the gift be subject to estate tax. Thus maximizing your gift and reducing you and your heir’s estate tax
- It will continue take withdraws during your lifetime, with no extra steps from you
- Ability to change the beneficiary if your circumstance changes
- Support the future of the river!
How It Works
- Tell your retirement plan provider you want to name FOR as a beneficiary on your qualifying retirement plan. They will ensure those assets will not be included in your taxable estate. FOR’s EIN number is, 54-1381671
- After your lifetime, the residue of your plan passes to FOR tax-free and to any other named heirs
Use Your IRA to Support a Healthy River
If you’re 70 ½ or older, you can make a tax-free distribution from your traditional or Roth IRA to the future of our river. This can be a one-time or recurring gift.
How It Works
- Direct distributions, in the amount of your choosing, from your traditional or Roth IRA to Friends of the Rappahannock.
- The distributions go directly to FOR and are not subject to federal income tax.
- To make sure your gift is properly processed and that you are listed as the donor of record, please have all checks directed to the address below. Please contact us at (540) 373-3448 or elisabeth[email protected] to let us know to expect your donation. Friends of the Rappahannoock, attn: Lis Heras 3219 Fall Hill Ave Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Is a Gift through your IRA right for you?
- You are over age 70½.
- You are over age 72 and do not need the additional income from your required minimum distributions (RMD).
- You are no longer working and making contributions to a retirement plan.
- You want to see your gift go directly towards supporting the future of your community, river health, and education!
Have any questions? Please reach out to our Development Coordinator Lis Heras at [email protected] or call (540)373-3448 ext 152