Friends of the Rappahannock is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religious creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or disability. We are inclusive. We believe diversity drives innovation. We are always growing our partnerships and believe it takes a watershed to make a difference. We strongly encourage applications from People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and those who are members of other marginalized communities.
Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is a 501c3 watershed protection organization. FOR works to be the voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River. We accomplish this through three program pillars – advocacy, restoration, and education. FOR is seeking a part time, (20-29 hours/week) Education Assistant to support our robust environmental education program. This will include classroom and outdoor education, including on-water programs and physical restoration work, as necessary. This position is located in our Culpeper, VA office and has the potential to grow into a full time position.
Timeframe: This position will start June 6, 2023 and end August 1, 2023.
Reports To: Upper Rappahannock Education Manager
- Co-lead Upper Rappahannock half-day summer camps for grades 1st-2nd and 3rd-5th, including preparation, set up, and clean up.
- Opportunities to assist other public programming such as nature walks, parks and recreation outdoor education programs, tabling at events, and paddle programs.
- Assist reporting participation numbers for records.
- Contribute to activity development and lesson planning as needed.
- Attend meetings and staff retreats as able.
Desired Attributes of a Summer Education Assistant
- Some education or equivalent experience in both the sciences and education.
- The ability to communicate scientific concepts to a wide range of age groups, through hands-on activities, and public speaking.
- Enthusiasm for working in an inclusive environment which serves children and the general public of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Experience in outdoor education settings.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Able to lift 25-50 lbs.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Comfortable working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Comfortable supervising children on-water programs.
- First Aid & CPR Certification, completed by start date.
This is a part-time, hourly position. Pay rate is $15-18/hour commensurate with experience.
Willing to train the right candidate. Please send a cover letter and resume to our Upper Rappahannock Education Manager [email protected]. For questions please contact our Upper Rappahannock Education Manager [email protected].