Friends of the Rappahannock is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religious creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or disability. We are inclusive. We believe diversity drives innovation. We are always growing our partnerships and believe it takes a watershed to make a difference. We strongly encourage applications from People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and those who are members of other marginalized communities.
Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is a 501c3 watershed protection organization. FOR works to be the voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River. We accomplish this through three program pillars – advocacy, restoration, and education. FOR is seeking a part time, seasonal (20-25 hours/week) Environmental Educator to support our robust environmental education program. This will include classroom and outdoor education, including on-water programs and physical restoration work, as necessary. This position is located in our Culpeper, VA office and has the potential to grow into a full time position.
- Support our Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) program in the upper Rappahannock region by providing in class visits to schools, leading outdoor field experiences and supporting student action projects
- Support teacher professional development workshops introducing MWEE elements
- Support our summer camp program leading week-long day programs for students K-8 through environmental education and river recreation programs
- Support environment and outdoor education public programs in partnership with Parks and Recreation, including nature hikes, homeschool and pre-k programs, and paddles.
- Occasionally support restoration work, including maintenance and upkeep of nursery plants
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Env. Education, Env. Science, Biology, Ecology, Natural Resource Management or related degree, OR relevant training AND/OR coursework
- Google suite/Microsoft Word/Excel proficient
- Strong working knowledge of watersheds and human impacts on watersheds
- Enthusiasm for working in an inclusive environment which serves children of all backgrounds and abilities
- Daily local travel necessary with some early mornings, late afternoons and occasional weekends and evenings
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Extremely organized, adaptable, and personable
- Comfortable being outdoors in all weather
- Able to pass a background check
- Valid driver’s license required
- Certification in Environmental Education, MWEE 101 & 102, OR Certified Interpretive Guide
- Minimum 1 years experience leading outdoor environmental education programs
- Experience leading Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences
- Classroom or group management skills indoor and outdoor
- Ability to drive company vehicles
- Comfortable using basic tools, such as shovels and drills
- Comfortable in canoes and/or kayaks
- Proficient in English and Spanish
This is a part time hourly position. Pay rate is $15-18/hr commensurate with experience. Anticipated start date is August of 2022.
Willing to train the right candidate. Please send letter and resume to our Upper Rappahannock Education Manager [email protected]