Are you passionate about clean water and environmental stewardship? Do you want to join a team of like-minded people dedicated to keeping our Rappahannock River and its tributaries clean, beautiful, and accessible? Do you like working outside and want experience organizing and leading on-the-ground service projects that improve water quality?
Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is seeking one or more Stewardship Interns for summer 2020. This position is part time, averaging approximately 15-20 hours/week, and would require regular work on weekends.
The period of the internship would be from approximately May to August 2020 (some flexibility of schedule available). The position is based at the FOR headquarters in Fredericksburg.
Compensation: This position is a volunteer position and is unpaid. However, interns are eligible for a stipend paid at the conclusion of the internship to help offset expenses. Students may also be eligible for academic credit at the discretion of their institution.
How to Apply: The position will remain open until filled. Email resume and cover letter to Adam Lynch, FOR River Steward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organizing and executing volunteer river cleanups and other volunteer action project
- Assisting with K12 and outdoor recreation programs
- Public outreach events and campaigns
- Performing water quality sampling at local streams
- Other office and field tasks as needed
- Current college or university students, incoming college students, and recent graduates are encouraged to apply
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle
- Sincere passion for environmental stewardship and conservation
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors; in variable and strenuous weather conditions; and on weekends
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Paddling experience
- GIS experience
- K12 environmental education experience