Tidal Restoration Assistant
Posted on 7/1/2021
Are you looking to live your passion and help protect our local clean water environment? Friends of the Rappahannock is hiring a part time (approximately 15-20 hours per week) Tidal Restoration Assistant to support our summer restoration projects in the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula.
Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is a 501c3 watershed protection organization based in Fredericksburg, VA with regional offices in Culpeper and Tappahannock, VA. This position will work out of our Tappahannock office on projects throughout the region. FOR works to be the voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River. We accomplish this through three program pillars – advocacy, restoration and education.
FOR is seeking a Restoration Assistant to support programs and projects in the lower Rappahannock River region. A majority of this work will be with oyster restoration and living shorelines projects. Strong candidates will be energetic and reliable team players who are willing and able to work on the water, outside and in a wide range of terrain and weather conditions.
- Support oyster restoration projects
- Support living shoreline and marsh planting projects
- Support for outreach and interpretive events
- Support for the oyster shell recycling program
- Volunteer recruitment, oversight, and management
- Support for social media, website, and other digital content
- Other indoor and outdoor program support as needed
- Some early mornings, late afternoons, evening and weekend work anticipated
- Must have valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Must be able to lift 75lbs
- Must be willing to work outside in varying weather conditions
- Must be comfortable working in, on, and around waterways
- Outgoing and personable
- Team player
- Passion for environmental protection and conservation
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Degree (or seeking) in env science, biology, ecology, natural resources, etc
- Experience driving and parking trailers
- Boater safety card and experience on boats
- Knowledge of native plants and ecosystems
- Have Canoe/Kayak experience
This is an entry level, part-time seasonal position. Position term is flexible. Hourly pay is $12-15 per hour commensurate with experience.
Friends of the Rappahannock is an equal opportunity employer. We are inclusive. We believe diversity drives innovation. We are always growing our partnerships and believe it takes a watershed to make a difference.
Please send letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org