Are you looking to live your passion and help protect our local clean water environment? Friends of the Rappahannock is hiring a part time (about 20+ hours/week) Restoration Technician.
Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is a 501c3 watershed protection organization based in Fredericksburg, VA. FOR works to be the voice and active force for a healthy and scenic Rappahannock River. We accomplish this through three program pillars – advocacy, restoration and education.
FOR is seeking a Restoration Technician to join our team for our fall/winter 2020 season. Strong candidates will be energetic and reliable team players who are willing and able to work outside and in inclement weather. This position will be based at our headwaters office in Culpeper, Virginia with occasional work through our offices in Fredericksburg and Tappahannock, Virginia.
- Support and oversight for tree planting projects
- Support and oversight for river cleanups
- Restoration project monitoring
- Support for outreach and interpretive events
- Support for the oyster shell recycling program
- Volunteer recruitment and management
- Water quality monitoring
- Other indoor and outdoor program support as needed
- Some early mornings, late afternoons, evening and weekend work anticipated
- Must have valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Must be able to drive work truck and trailer
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Must be willing to work outside in varying weather conditions
- Outgoing and personable
- Team player
- Passion for environmental protection and conservation
- Degree (or seeking) in env science, biology, ecology, natural resources, etc
- Landscaping or tree care experience
- Certified pesticide/herbicide applicator
- GPS/GIS experience
- Have Canoe/Kayak experience
- Local residence in Culpeper, Fauquier, or Rappahannock County
This is an entry level, part time position. Position term is from late mid September through early December 2020 with potential for continued work through summer 2021. Hourly pay rate is $12-$15/hr depending on qualifications. Willing to train the right candidate.
Friends of the Rappahannock is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send letter, resume, and references to October Greenfield with Restoration Technician in the subject line.