Friends of the Rappahannock (FOR) is seeking one motivated college student or recent graduate with strong problem-solving skills and proven GIS ability to support our advocacy, outreach, and restoration programs using GIS and other design programs during Summer and Fall 2022.
This position is part time, with a flexible work schedule of approximately 10-20 hours per week and can include telework options. Must be located within 1.5 hours of Culpeper, Fredericksburg, or Tappahannock, VA for occasional in-person presentations, staff meetings, and other projects as requested by your supervisor. The period of the internship would be from approximately May to December 2022 with potential for extension if need arises. Remote/virtual work is highly encouraged.
Compensation: This position is eligible for $15-$18 per hour commensurate with experience and availability. Students may also be eligible for academic credit at the discretion of their institution.
How to Apply: Application deadline: April 20, 2022. Please submit resume, cover letter, and example of GIS product/s (pdf or link to arc online) to Adam Lynch at [email protected] with GIS Intern 2022 in the subject line.
- Performing vector data analysis and interpretation to produce quantitative indicators of stream and watershed health
- Development of web maps and applications to display interactive public-facing maps and graphics
- Work with the communications team to develop story maps
- Researching and gathering spatial and non-spatial data from a variety of digital sources
- Making maps and visualizations using ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online and Adobe Illustrator
- Using Microsoft Office and Adobe Illustrator to create compelling and attractive data graphics
- Opportunity to join other organization staff on education programs, paddle trips, restoration projects and more
- Opportunity to present at regional conferences
- Current college students, recent graduates, or graduate students are eligible to apply
- 3.0 GPA or higher in GIS coursework
- Candidate must have completed a minimum of 6 credit hours of coursework using ArcGIS by the start of this internship
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WOULD HAVE:
- Access to ArcGIS software and the ability to work virtually from a home office or remote location
- Proven experience creating web map applications and Story Maps using ArcGIS software
- Graduate coursework in GIS
- Experience working with Adobe Illustrator
- A GIS certificate and/or B.S. in Geography
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A keen eye for map aesthetics
- An inclination toward problem solving, critical thinking, and curiosity
- A passion for conservation and the outdoors
Friends of the Rappahannock is an equal opportunity employer. We are inclusive. We believe diversity drives innovation. We are always growing our partnerships and believe it takes a watershed to make a difference.