Fredericksburg Tree Giveaway
November 7 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Trees strengthen our community by increasing property values, making public spaces more livable and improving our environment. Friends of the Rappahannock is proud to partner with Tree Fredericksburg to host a tree giveaway in the City of Fredericksburg.
This native tree giveaway is made possible by financial contributions from Tree Fredericksburg, We Plant Trees, a grant from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), and support from the Virginia Department of Forestry (DOF).
This tree giveaway is limited to three trees per family. Pre-registration is required. All trees are one gallon size and are a species native to the region. Please carefully read the “Important Notes” section below and register for your choice of trees using the form at the bottom of this page.
Native trees help our environment and our community in numerous ways, including:
- Sequester carbon to improve air quality
- Regulate temperatures in our urban environments
- Increase property values in our neighborhoods
- Catch and filter polluted stormwater before it enters our local streams
- Stabilize soils and stream banks preventing erosion
- Provide valuable forage and habitat for fish and wildlife
If you have a property in need of a larger reforestation project, we have other programs that offer up to 100% cost share for trees. More info HERE.
Important notes and rules for giveaway
- Limit 3 trees per family
- Social Distancing. To ensure compliance with social distancing guidelines, this tree giveaway will use a “drive-thru” format. Recipients will be able to receive a ticket and pick up their tree order at the Fredericksburg Nationals Ball Park without leaving their vehicle.
- Consent for Tree Inspection. Due to grant requirements, all trees given away must be tracked and reported for the Chesapeake Bay Cleanup Program. By receiving a tree, you give consent to allow a trained volunteer to enter your property to inspect each planted tree. Volunteers will contact each landowner beforehand to schedule the site visit.
- Everybody Loves Dogwood. To give more people a chance to take home our beautiful state tree, please limit 1 dogwood per order.
- Right Tree, Right Place. To maximize the chances that your tree will survive and flourish in its new home, and to minimize the risk of property damage or other inconvenience, it is important to select the right species for your property. Use the links below for a description of each tree’s needs.
- River Birch
- Tulip Poplar/Tuliptree
- Overcup Oak
- Red Maple
- Sweetbay Magnolia
- White Flowering Dogwood
- American Persimmon
- Swamp Chestnut Oak
- Witch Hazel
- American Hornbeam
- Fringe Tree
- Paw Paw
- Bald Cypress
Instructions on how to obtain your trees:
- Register for up to 3 free trees using the ticket form at the bottom of this page.
- Bring your printed or digital receipt from the reservation to the tree pickup We will begin processing orders at 8 am.
- There will be free tree chain and stakes for $2 available at pickup site
- At the pickup, you will receive a sheet of paper with links to a YouTube video containing instructions on how to plant, mulch, and maintain your trees
- Trees must be covered in some way for traveling, either inside a vehicle or covered in a truck. The trees are small but can be as much as 6-7 ft tall. They can bend in the trunk if necessary.