- This event has passed.
Big Fall Cleanup and Trash Dash
October 12 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Join Friends of the Rappahannock, Fredericksburg Parks, Recreation, and Events, and Rappahannock Goodwill for our annual Big Fall Cleanup and Trash Dash on Saturday October 12. This multi-site river cleanup runs from 9am to noon at Old Mill. Park. All participants are welcome to stay for a free catered lunch after the cleanup courtesy of Dickey’s Barbecue. Food will be served at 11:30.
Things to know: Participants of all ages are welcome. All volunteers must sign a waiver (link to waiver). Volunteers under age 15 are required to have a parent or guardian present unless they are part of a group such as a Scout Troop that has pre-registered.
How to prepare: All cleanup materials such as gloves, bags, and litter-pickers are provided. Please arrive at 9:00am at Old Mill Park. Park in the main parking lot. Once they have arrived, all volunteers will check in, get cleanup materials, and report to a nearby cleanup site under the guidance of a site captain. Dress for the weather and bring a water bottle. Close-toed shoes, bugspray and sunscreen are recommended.
The Trash Dash
The trash dash is a friendly competition where we all win by cleaning up our public spaces. Trash Dashers should sign in at Pavilion 1 at Old Mill (near the bathroom) and then report to the starting line at the Heritage Trail for a 9:15 start. Participants will complete the 3.1-mile Heritage Trail/Canal Path loop and pick up litter along the way. Awards will be given for the following categories:
- Most overall trash by weight
- Most cigarette butts
- Most bottle caps
- Weirdest item (as selected by our panel of judges)
Prizes include gift cards to local businesses and a very trashy trophy.Individuals/Families Register for the Cleanup Here
It takes a village to run a cleanup this big! We accept material donations and cash to help keep the Big Fall Cleanup program humming. We also offer sponsorships for groups that bring volunteers. Please contact Adam Lynch (email@example.com) for sponsorship opportunities
The two levels of sponsorship for organizations or companies interested in supporting Big Fall Cleanup are as follows:
- Gold Sponsorship ($500 cash or equivalent donation or 20+ volunteers pledged) – Sponsor recognized on all cleanup promo materials including posters and flyers, FOR website, and social media posts before and after the cleanup
- Silver Sponsorship ($250 cash or equivalent donation or 10-20 volunteers pledged) – Sponsor recognized on FOR website and social media posts before and after the cleanup
- Cleanup Partner (Less than $250 cash or equivalent donation or less than 10 volunteers pledged) – Sponsor recognized on social media posts after the cleanup
Thanks to our Sponsors that have signed up so far!